Friday, July 6, 2012

Not Where I Grew Up

"We all want to grow up. We're desperate to get there. Grab all the opportunities we can to live. We're so busy trying to get out of that mess, we don't think about the fact that it's going to be cold out there. Really freaking cold. Because growing up sometimes means leaving people behind. And by the time we stand on our own two feet, we're standing there alone." - Meredith Grey

I closed one chapter of my life a little over a month ago and am set to begin a new one in just a matter of weeks.
As I sit in this limbo of sorts, I keep hearing about how I've grown up so quick.
But what does growing up mean?
The dictionary defines growing up as "to increase in size by a natural process" or "to develop and reach maturity."
By this I am far from "grown up" as mature is one of the farthest things I'd say I am..
So what does growing up really mean?
Most see it as the act of getting older.
But is this the case?
Does turning 16 make you able to handle a car?
No. But your first wreck or first ticket makes you realize how irresponsible you really are.
Does graduating from school mean you're ready for the real world?
Not one bit.
Does turning 18 make you a real adult?
Sure, on paper.
But in reality, you're still the same naive kid you were just the day before.

So, I'd say that age is the last thing that truly defines growing up but maybe the actions that happen along the way make us realize how far we've come and how far we have to go.

Chew on that.

Talk to you soon,
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment